Nearly 50% of the population suffers from headaches; a majority is burdened with types readily treatable by chiropractic care.
The most common types of headaches include:
1. Tension headaches: most common; described as pressure or tightness, like a band around the head, sometimes spreading into or from the neck. Typically affects both sides.
2. Cervicogenic headaches: pain originating from the upper cervical spine, precipitated by neck movements or prolonged postural positions. Typically affects one-side.
3. Migraines: common or classic types. Migraine is recurrent, often life-long, and characterized by attacks with nausea, vomiting, light/sound sensitivity.
4. Cluster headaches: relatively uncommon, episodic or chronic forms. Brief recurrent attacks but extremely severe headache associated with pain around the eye with tearing and redness.
5. Medication over-use headache: caused by chronic and excessive use of medication to treat headache.
Other secondary causes of headaches may be dehydration, caffeine withdrawal, stress or sinusitis.
Your physicians at Kelsall Chiropractic treat all of the most common types of headaches. Specializing in treating the musculoskeletal root of the problem they are able to determine whether muscle tissue, vertebral joints, or nutrition are the culprit. Research continues to show chiropractic adjustments and manual therapies are effective treatment alternatives to medication for tension, cervicogenic, and migraine headaches.
For more information visit the links/websites below and begin a headache-free life with Kelsall Chiropractic!
Recommendations from the American Chiropractic Association:
Dose-response research study of cervicogenic headache and chiropractic manipulation:
Anatomical research into suboccipital relationship to cervicogenic headaches: